Sunday, July 3, 2011

Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant

Address: 185/187/189/191 Jalan Besar, Singapore 208882
Tel No: 62257788
Opening Hours:
Monday - Saturday 6 pm - 10 am
Sunday and Public Holiday 6 pm - 12 noon
Close on Tuesday Night
~
Type of Place: Casual Dining
Recommended Attire: NIL
Type of Cuisine: Shanghai & HK Dim Sum
Average price spent per pax: $15
~
Who went with me: Claudia, Mingju, Karen, Carl, Wiki, Jonathan, Doris
~
Rating (out of 5) –
~
Food quality: 3.5
Service quality: 3
Ambience: 3.5
~
1  = Poor
2 = Below Average
3 = Average
4 = Good
5 = Excellent

Most of us met together at Farrer Park MRT and walked over together. Thanks to Jonathan, we managed to get to Swee Choon via a short cut near Mustafa Centre. The rest of us had absolutely no idea where Jonathan was bringing us and we just tagged along, while swallowing down the interesting sights along the small road beside Mustafa Centre. We felt like tourists!
Upon entering Swee Choon, we were supremely grateful for the strong air-conditioning coz the heat was just too overwhelming out there. There was not much decor, just very simple furniture and somewhat cramped layout.
Their opening hours are.. unique.

Carl, with his broken fingers, cheerfully washed the cups for us :)

Wiki assisted with pouring the chrysanthemum tea, which tasted rather bland.

I got busy cam-whoring with Karen ahahah. Ah, my long hair.

Jonathan, who frequents Swee Choon, started filling up the order form. the HUGE order form.
I had a quick glance at the menu and was sad that they don't sell Nai Huang Bao :(

The food arrived quite quickly, but due to the strong air-conditioning (plus a ceiling fan above us), they turned cold quickly too :S
This is the chee cheong fun, which tasted normal. Well, how special can it get right..

Char Siew Sou - I managed to eat it while hot, and it was good. Of coz it cannot be compared to the one at Imperial Treasure (Changi Airport) ahahha. Karen also gave this a thumbs-up!

I really ought to buy a DSLR.

Hor fun - it was above average, but a couple of us commented that it was cooked too long, hence not as nice. I prefer chau-ta hor fun, and this was not. haha.

Taken using Wiki's camera. Better colours, but somehow the picture looked distorted. Maybe it's my skills :S

Siew Mai. 1 order = 2 units, I wonder why. Anyway, the siew mai was average, definitely not the best I have tasted.

using Wiki's camera.

Chilli dumplings. Many of us liked it, especially Wiki. It was really quite spicy!! And the colours are nice :)

Closer look.

Hmm, further look :P Oh, see that har gau in the small metal bowl? hahaha I tink that was the only picture i took of the har gau! - The skin was thick, but prawns were fresh.

Spicy La-mian. It was SPICY. The Ma-la kind of spicy.

Closer look wahahah. I liked the minced meat.

Carl's beef noodles. A disappointment, coz the beef was very tough.
Big round table with lots of food!
Siao Long Bao - I did not manage to eat this, but comments were that they were good, with lots of soup inside :)
Okay this is apparently one of the specialties, called the mee sua kueh. It's made of mee sua, obviously. Interesting.
Close-up. I think it tasted bland, but pardon me, my taste buds love salty food. The rest (Doris, Jonathan in particular) love this!
You still can see the mee sua! Oh, Claudia commented that it wasn't salty enuff too hehe.
Fried wanton. Normal, wait till you taste the Old Airport ones! Review coming up soon ahhaha.

Peking Dumpling - The skin was sooo thick :(, but they were juicy.

See, you cannot even see what's inside hor.
More food ahhaha.
Carl and Wiki :)
My note pad. I dun remembering taking this pic.

Chicken feet - Ooh, i loved these coz they were so fat and tasty! Significantly fatter than the ones you eat elsewhere :)
Spare ribs - very tender :) another of my favourite dim sum dishes!

Beancurd skin (with stuff inside) - I forgot the name :(

Quite a few things inside! But again, it wasn't salty enough for me leh :S

Steamed chicken - BLAND again. argh. chicken was tender and soup was oily.
Ahhhh....red bean pancake! This was good!!
Crispy and hot! And compared to the one at Imperial Treasure, this is the non-oily version, which is better i guess, for the health-conscious Singaporeans.
Mango sago - Jonathan and Karen commented that the liquid was rather diluted.
Gui Lin Gao - err... Normal. :)
Mango Pudding - Doris ordered this and she said it was nice. She eats a lot of mango pudding, i observed. So if its nice, should be nice hahaa.
Mingju and Claudia. Looking extremely satisfied with the joke.
Mine! :D

Peek a boo!
My ORH NI! it was a huge portion. and my verdict? - It was good, one of the better ones I have tasted. Best I've tasted? ---> Lee Do Restaurant!
~
I have to apologize for this extremely late review. But now that I recall, i realise that the food was forgettable, and all I can remember, is that we were laughing a lot during this review session. Hahaha so in this case, it was more of 'fellowship' than 'feilouship'. Mingju joined us for the first time here and she blended right in.
Oh and after dinner, we even visited Carl's condo to check out its facilities. And we are going to have our 1st year anniversary BBQ there!
I mean, it's just amazing how friendships can be formed over FOOD.
Ok back to Swee Choon. I think it's a cool hangout place for supper in the middle of the night. Generally, the food isn't fantastic and prices are not the cheap range. The only advantage that Swee Choon has over other dim sum eateries is the opening hours, really. Oh, parking is a problem too. Claudia took some time waiting for a lot.
Another observation was that there were flies in the restaurant, sharing the air-con with us. Keep a look out, they may fall into the food..:)
Summary - if i am hungry at 1am and I am craving for dim sum, I will visit again :)

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment